Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kicking-off April and Word Count Madness!

To kick-off April, I've decided to write not one, but two new manuscripts. The first will actually be the second book to the one I'm subbing, which I already have quite a bit written, but that's besides the point. The second is a whole new book, which I have no idea what I'm going to do. Believe it or not, I like a challenge, so I'm really looking forward to the second one.

Word Count
I've subbed only a handful of agents for my completed MS. I'm choosing not to sub anymore until I have a response from the agents I've sent queries. The only worry I have about my MS is that the word count is 55,000. There is a little confusion on what the minimum and maximum word counts are for YA. I've always read it's anywhere from 55,000 to 85,000, but now I've read a few agent blogs who claim 60,000 is the lowest the word count can be. Since I've edited out about 7,000 words, it's dropped my word count, but my story is still strong.

What are your goals for April?

What is your opinion of acceptable word counts?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Ambitious goals...good luck!

    I'm hoping to get back into a regular writing schedule for the month of April (pregnancy, a 2-week vacation in March, and subbing got me off track of my writing the last couple of months). I'm also attending a writing conference in the Poconos, so that should help inspire me to get back in a groove.

    Hmmm...my YA that I'm subbing out to agents is only 57,000 words. If your story feels complete at 55,000 words, I wouldn't worry about it being too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the baby, Katie!

    I hope you enjoy the conference!

    ReplyDelete